Thursday 21 October 2010

"Nobody puts Linn in the corner!"


Just a quick word from Muenster, where I am attending a seminar run by the European Voluntary Service. I've been here about a week and, once again, it has been fantastic to meet so many wonderful people with all sorts of expectations and fears about their projects. There are Kindergarten volunteers from Leipzig, Office workers from Berlin, Franco-German Exchange volunteers in Wuerzburg and many others from all over Europe.

We have been playing a game called "No Stone". We pass round a small pebble with the word "No" in English and German. When you have the stone, you must pass it on by getting someone to answer "No" to a question. If you have the stone by the end of a certain amount of time, you have to perform a task for the group. Needless to say, I was the gullible fool who said "No" just as we went in for the final session of the day and ended up with the stone.

Meanwhile, during the day I had bought from the Youth Hostel library a fantastic book about Dirty Dancing. It's not one of my favourite films from the 1980s, but the book discussed the passion of dance as well as how the film was made, so I had no choice really. Having almost read this book cover to cover, the group were united in their decision for my task; to do the final "dirty" dance to the tune of "(I've had) The Time of my Life".

Thankfully the Lovely Linn (no stranger to previous posts), who has trained as a ballet dancer and had some experience, was nice enough to be the Jennifer Grey to my Patrick Swayze, who by now must be turning in his grave. It was chaotic, messy, but full of energy. I had a great time, and we even managed a pretty decent lift at the right moment!! Just goes to prove: dance has nothing to do with steps, it's about your style and passion

No comments:

Post a Comment