Wednesday 23 February 2011

Miłość - I go with the wind...

I just wanted to share this with you. As you know, for the first time in my life I am really getting to know the people of Eastern Europe, the part we used to see in the West as the big Red bit just past Germany. It still shocks me that when I was born it was almost impossible for these friendships to exist, and yet just twenty years later we can travel freely and really get to know each other. That fact still challenges me as a Briton and as a Volunteer for the European Union.

Anyway, I was chatting on Skype with a Polish friend of mine and we were talking about all sorts of things, including music. She sent me this song, from Polish Jazz vocalist Aga Zaryan. Called Miłość (Love), it comes from the album Umiera Piękno (Beauty is Dying), which is made up of a number of poems set to music. The album is dedicated to those who took part in the Warsaw Uprising of 1944, which is why the video below is a montage of extremely moving images of young people at the time. Young and in love despite all that was going on.

I've included the lyrics below in Polish, then again with an English translation from Google to give you an idea of what the song is about. You don't really need the lyrics to find the song powerful - i certainly didn't - but the last line really is something special:

Słuchaj, słuchaj
Czy wietrze nie słyszysz jak śpiewa,
Mój głos, w którym jest moja miłość i tęskonota,
Taka prosta i mocna jak wiosenne drzewa,
Jak sprężone gałezie młodych wierzb w opłotkach

Poprzez pola wiatr gęsty
Wiosną w serce chlusta
Oddech w piersi tamuje
I krwią tętni w skroniach
Aż do bólu
Radosne serce niosąc w dłoniach
Chodzę z wiatrem z nieznanym imieniem na ustach
Chodzę z wiatrem z nieznanym imieniem na ustach
Chodzę z wiatrem z nieznanym imieniem na ustach...

Listen, listen
Can not you hear the wind sings,
My voice, which is my love and yearning,
As simple and powerful as spring trees
How young willow branches compressed in the enclosures

Through the dense wind field
Spring in the heart beating
Obstructs the breath in my chest
And teeming with blood in his temples
Painfully
A joyful heart is carrying in his hands
I go with the wind with an unknown name on the lips
I go with the wind with an unknown name on the lips
I go with the wind with an unknown name on the lips ...

No comments:

Post a Comment