Monday 25 July 2011

If a man can walk on sunshine...HE CAN RUN!

My good friend Chris Harrison is currently training for the York 10K Run on Sunday 31st July. I have had the privilege of completing the Battersea Park Santa Run 2009 with this great man, and can attest to his ability to run and my ability to pant the words and actions to "Rise and Shine". In fact, here is photographic evidence:

He is putting himself through the indignity of running through York wearing a bright orange hat for HCPT (the Handicapped Children's Pilgrimage Trust), also known as Helping, Caring, Playing Together. Since 1956 the Trust has given thousands of young people of differing abilities the opportunity to travel to Lourdes for a week's holiday. Lourdes is a small town in southern France, best known as a place where the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to 14 year old Bernadette Soubirous in 1858. Since then people have come from all over the world to see the spot where Mary appeared to Bernadette, and it has developed a reputation as a place of healing, with a particular emphasis on those who are ill.

I have been travelling to Lourdes for the past three years with the Catholic Association after the Carmelites (who else?) gave me the opportunity to travel with their pilgrimage. It is a place which at first glance is a Catholic parody, filled to the brim with nuns, rosaries, fluorescent figurines of the Virgin Mary and everything in between, yet the place attracts people from all backgrounds and places, many who come to serve the elderly, disabled and/or ill people who come and receive hope. It really has to be experienced to be believed. This year I am gutted I will not be able to travel with them as I end my time here in Dachau, though I am comforted by the fact they will be there praying for me.

But enough of me. Chris is running to raise money for HCPT Group 122, from York and the region. I ask that you ignore the strong tingling sensation that the sight of Chris kissing his biceps may arouse in your loins, and channel that sexual energy into donating to his Just Giving account at Chris & Adam's HCPT 122 10k.

To quote the man himself:

Come on guys, in the words of Delia Smith "Let's be Havin' You!!!"

P.S This is what Chris is running for. It is awesome to see.

1 comment: